Friday, February 19, 2010

Looooong Winter

Its been a long winter around here, not weatherwise, but lifewise. We've been hoping and wishing for more snow, but nothing doing, didn't happen. Hopefully we'll still get some snow this march, a nice big fluffy pile of snow.

We've been really sick this winter, a lot. Poor Justin just can't get well. He's on a strict vitamin regimin now, we're hoping it will help. We just keep passing stuff around, and getting sick over and over and over. Makes a looooong winter when you can't get well, and you can't get anywhere, and you're broke...... Thankfully its february, and warm now, so maybe we're looking up.

Today I tried on every piece of clothing I own, and sorted it down to almost nothing. I think I have about 10-12 shirts, 2 pairs of pants, 2 dresses and a skirt. Not much to wear.....so we (mom, Justin and I) went through all my clothes to decide what looked good, what fit, what didn't, what was flattering, etc. It was really helpful to me. I'm not much of a fashionista, I don't really worry about what's "in", I just want to look good and have stuff fit comfortably, but that's still really hard, especially in the sizes I wear, with the budget I have this winter, and with how hard I am on clothes. Its very difficult. But this also ties into my other news, I joined a "Biggest Loser" competition that my work is offering for this spring and summer! I'm really excited about it actually, the prize is $1500, and I really am looking forward to that extra motivation to get healthy and skinnier. Plus yesterday I worked out, which is a big step. Eating isn't really the biggest problem for me, its not exercising. I always think that my daily activity is enough, but obviously it isn't. :) So that's what I'm working on right now - designing some new clothes, and losing weight.

We're also in the seemingly never ending search for money for our business. We're having a major change shortage this winter, and its been really hard (as it has been for almost everyone this year). We've applied for several loans, looked for investors, and are in the middle of applying for another loan right now. Its a time consuming, frustrating, scary experience. I guess the upshot is that it has completely re-committed us to paying off as much debt as we can this summer, so that we don't have to go through this again. We are so ready to be debt free, and so tired of the fear and uncertainty that it brings into everything, and so restrictive. Honestly its been a painful, long, frustrating experience, which we hope will start to look up any day now.

On the positive side, our goat Gabby is going to have kids any day now. That is exciting, and a little scary after the mass casualties of last year, but still excited to see what happens. We're selling, or trying to sell, our billy goat. He's not really a good fit for our barn, he's too closely related, and we'd like to bring in a new blood line, instead of kissing cousins, or in this case, kissing half siblings. We'll have to post pics of the new babies when they come.

The dogs are good, the chickens good, cat is a cat, and we're plugging along, hoping to get better, hoping to get the money we need, and hoping for more snow. :)

1 comment:

The Rhiens said...

I am sorry to hear that it has been a tough winter for your guys. I hope that they figure out what to do to help Justin get back on his feet.

And I applaud your joining the Biggest Loser competition and wish you luck. I bet that $1500 could come in handy.

Hang in there. We love you and pray for you.

Love, Earlene and Scott