Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Still Alive

Well, we are still alive, in case anyone wondered. We have been trying to un-wind after our long boat launch season, but have only been marginally successful. We have been trying to get all the fall/summer projects completed that there wasn't time for this summer, and trying to recuperate, and trying not to go nuts, so we've still been pretty busy. :)

Its been so long since I wrote last, I'm not sure what to write, or even if anyone checks the blog anymore!

Its working up to winter here, after a pretty crappy summer (second coldest/wettest summer since they started keeping track in 1929). Had a lovely warm September, with sun almost every day, and the warmest temps we've had all summer. But 2 days ago someone flipped the switch and we're heading down the fast track into winter, which is okay by me and Justin. We're tired. We're ready to get some firewood done, and hibernate.

I bought a new sewing machine, something I've been saving up for for a very long time. Thank you Alaska Permanent fund for giving me the extra push! I bought a Bernina 1008 (or is it 1080? I can never remember, but I'm pretty sure its 1008). I'm very excited, its the hardcore, non computerized machine, the current version of mom's old machine basically. I got no electronics (other than basic power) on purpose, because I don't want to fight a computer when I sew. I have to do enough computer battles when I scrapbook. When I sew, I just want to do my thing! I had a quilt cut out this spring, that I have been saving to sew with my new machine, so hopefully I will get to feeling better and do that, maybe the end of the week??? We'll see. But I'm excited. I'll post pictures soon (I hope).

Our other fun purchase this fall was a compound bow, for playing with here in the yard. I took archery in college as one of my P.E. classes (I know, cool huh?), and really enjoyed it, and have been wanting ever since then to get a set up of my own. Now we have one, and that's exciting. I've never used a compound bow before this week, in class we used a recurve, but the compound is cool. Now we just need to get is sighted. We've been sharing it, since its adjustable to both of us, but its not really fun to share, since the other guy just has to stand there and watch the other one have fun. So I'm seeing another bow in our future, his and hers models. :) I'm looking forward to having an outdoor activity that I enjoy, that we can do in any weather, and any time we want, plus its basically silent, so no worries about bothering anyone.

We had a pretty good boat launch season, with 80+ more launches than last year. Unfortunately we "lost" one of our machines, doing a vessel salvage, so we had to buy another one in the middle of the season. That pretty much screwed up our profits, which was really really really lame. But looking at the more positive side, we have a better machine now. We were really hoping to travel this fall, but unless we have a much more frugal winter than I think we will, I don't think we will be able to. We really wanted to go visit, and get refreshed, but we'll figure out something to do at home I guess.

Oh, we got a car, it gets 31 mpg, which is great, it only cost $1250, and only has 116,000 miles on it. Its awesome! Plus its a BMW, which is pretty neat too. :) Its supposed to be my car - but in the thousand plus miles we've had it, I've driven about 60 of them, if that tells you anything. But at least Justin likes it I guess, looking at the positive side, or trying to anyway. Now we can travel around, and do errands a little more affordably. Last week we took a drive that would have cost $300 plus in gas for the truck, but only cost about $55 in the car. That's a huge savings! A couple trips like that and we've paid for it in saved gas alone, so that's pretty cool.

Other than that, this Sunday was our first day to go back to church. We were in too much pain to sit past more than the first hour, but we hit the most important part, so that's good. It was really nice to sit and enjoy the music, fellowship, and such.

UM, I guess I don't have a lot more to put in this post. I've been looking for a picture from this summer to put up, but I haven't even had time to take them off the camera yet, so I guess I will post sans picture. Sorry, I'll try to post something more interesting next time! :)

2 comments:

The Atkinsons said...

You'll have to post a picture of your quilt when you are done!

Carolee Jones said...

I follow your blog! LOVE to hear the updates, especially when I don't get to see you much all summer long. Sounds like a deffinite Alaskan adventure as always! Glad to hear you got a better machine for the lauching, good tools make a difference...which brings me to your NEW SEWING MACHINE! WOW congrats!!! Can't wait to see the cool stuff you'll create with it. BIG HUGS!..oh and saw you on Sunday but had to rush off to the Library then the Nursery, that's where they have me now 2nd hour, fun fun!