Thursday, July 3, 2008

Funny Cartoon

I was reading on a friends blog about the un-written rules of blogging, and they were talking about how you're supposed to talk about things that go wrong, not just talk about how everything is sunshine and bunnies. So, in that vein, I was reading this new book I got the other day, its a collection of the comic "Get Fuzzy" which is by far my absolute favorite comic. I have all the books of the daily strip, and as soon as they come out I get them. The newest one is calleed "Take Our Cat, Please!" and the artist is Darby Conley. Anyone who has, or has had, or knows people with funny pets, will like it I think.
Anyway, I was reading that and came across this particular cartoon. And it is so how I feel sometimes when I try new recipes. I mean, I consider that I'm a good cook, and generally what I make turns out, but sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it doesn't in a big way. Like the other day, I was making Pot pie, which I make about once a month or so, and have been making for many years. Well, the only part I don't like about making pie of any sort is having to roll out a crust, I just don't like it. Well, last summer I found this recipe for a no-roll crust for making fruit pies, you just mix it up and press it in the pan, and sprinkle a little on top. It works beauty for fruit pie, so I thought, well pie crust is pie crust, so I made that recipe, with a little tweaking to make it more suitable for a meat pit, and an hour later so proudly pulled it out of the oven. It was not good. I said it was nasty, everyone else said it wasn't nasty just maybe not that good. I guess they can't all be winners. I was pretty sure it would work, but oh well! I guess it was my equivalent of "blueberry crabcakes".

2 comments:

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

Well, they weren't listening to me because I thought it was really good.

Since the other option was having the gravy on bread, I thought it was REALLY good.

I will take responsibility for the pie suggestion, it seemed like a good idea to me. Charlotte

the Carlos Family said...

That comic was funny and made me think of how things go very often when I cook. Blueberry crapcakes (oops-that was a misspelling but I think it is relevant :) Alas, the trials of those of us who are domestically challenged. Did you guys have a good 4th? heather